Sturgis 2017

Day 1 (Friday) I skipped outta work early afternoon and chased the sun across Iowa and into South Dakota on Hwy 18 . . . stopping in Fairview, Davis and camping in Tripp, SD.  I went and checked out the 4H Fair across the way . . .
Fairview, SD . . . a beautiful hidden jem.
Above/Below:  The Trading Post bar in Davis has ice cold High Life !  Old Hwy 18 is kinda sad through here, with broken down filling stations, closed storefronts and past greatness now just a memory.  But perfect for panheads !
PS. Dudes, I think sheep and goats are cool (but it was only Day 1 . . .  I wasn't that lonely)
The fair was fun, and the cute "farm moms" made me a delicious dinner and served up breakfast in the morning.  My tent spot was perfect.  (then rain in the morning kinda sucked)

Day 2 (Saturday) I met up with Chad, Angie and Zach for a run through the badlands.  Chad's bike wasn't charging, so we had a couple delays - but I made it for the BUSH concert Which freaking rocked by-the-way . . . it was largest crowd I ever saw jammed into the Ironhorse.


I had a VIP spot (thanks fellas) . . . .
_____________________________________________________

Day 3 . . .  one of the first people I see at the Denver's Show is my good friend Irish Rich.  He welcomes me, then proceeds to chew-my-ass 'cause I don't have Instagram yet.  It was awesome.  He's one of my favorite people on earth, and he loves choppers and cats, just like me.  I need to get my shit together and go see him for a few. 
Above, Rich's view of his beautiful shovel chopper.  He cleaned ass with the Sturgis show circuit a couple years ago with this build - and I was stoked to see it again.

I talked to Mondo for quite awhile about Indian Larry, Bob Spina . . . and when he saw my frame, he commented how much he liked it.  I told him "Lil Joe" from Vegas molded it up, and my frame was from Vegas.  I would have entered, but I had Michael Lichter's invite for his show reception, and the Pro TT at Buffalo Chip . . . " Gotta Go Mondo !"



Cool bikes . . .  and when you see Rich . . . Part Timer Steve ain't far behind.  Love ya dude - Colorado's finest builders and riders . . .
The Pro TT was one of the best races I seen in a long time.  Chris Carr designed the track, and it really brought out the skill in all the pro riders.  I hadn't see "Twins" take a jump since Jay Springsteen at Peoria years ago . . . it really kicked ass !

The track had multiple "vantage points" inside The Chip, with all it's bridges and multi-story structures.  The long straight saw riders in the 70mph range . . . I sat on a bar stool with drink in hand as Henry Wiles and Kenny Coolbeth whizzed by . . . really fucking crazy !

This Hayden Gillim kid from Kentucky (relation to Haydens) was so fast, he just outclassed the field in the pro-am class.  His professional focus is on pavement racing, but this kid can sure ride a motorcycle !  He was just as fast as Henry Wiles (who out classed the pro field) until a blown water jacket ended his run giving Baumann the win.  All the riders were great - Thanks for a super show !
 
 
Day 4  I started hangin' with Lil' Chris and Sarah for a few days now.  Chris was chosen as a builder for the Michael Lichter Show this year.(see full feature later this week)  He brought Warren's (sorta rat bike) panhead for a loaner and us 3 proceeded to wander around Sturgis.  Kurpius joined in for moments of "regroup" & follow up.  With almost 400,000 people out there, we seemed to stumble on each other multiple occasions.  It was a really good time.  Thanks, love you all . . .

There are lots of incredible young women in this world, but Chris won the lottery with his wife Sarah.  So cool to meet all of you.  Never forget this trip.
 This shovel had a small break down  . . .
 Chris takes a nap . . ?  WTF ?
  . . . still fartin' with it . . . "Dudes, the cops are coming !"
Warren's panhead just keeps on chugging . . .
" Old Reliable"
 Zen moments on the hill above old City Park . . .
Josh finds us again.  A golden moment.
________________________________________________________________
Now What Day is IT ????  All the days start to flow together - which is a good thing.  I took a run down to the AMCA, Antique Motorcycle Club of America bike show at The Ironhorse.  I'm welcomed by Carl Olsen.  Hey Carl !
It was nice to see John Graff and many others for this "yearly meeting."
If you like old iron, this was it . . .



 I've seen the vintage motorcycles coming back at Sturgis the last few years.  Jerry and Jack Raino rode their 1957 and 1969 Sportsters all over the place.  I saw knuckles, pans and Indian Chiefs and Scouts out in the hills.  If you want to bring your old bike out some year - do it !  There's plenty of shows and people who want to see your classic ride.  Don't be shy . . .




 The Indian (above) has the neatest "retractable" windshield.  I need one.
Gibson had his rolling "photo shop on wheels" - developing tin types on site.
I helped Gene unload his 1961XLR drag bike !
________________________________________________________________________________

 After breakfast one morning, I went for a ride out to The Horse Backstreet Chopper Show with Danger Dan and Christian(Buffalo, NY) to check out some custom iron . . .


Dan's panhead is set-up for distance.  Bacon did some wrenchin' on it in the past, and she's runnin' fine - Nice to hang with you dude !
Zach Starkey rode out on his 1200 Evo Sporty Chop (built himself).  It was his first rally and he was havin' so much fun (and running out of money !)

This Cali Black Plate panhead was pretty damn bitchin'
Rhett blew my mind again on the wall - with his showman antics and riding skill.
He's the best !  Good to see you again !  -Noot
 

No comments: